Monday 12 November 2012

Every day's a perfect gift of time for us to use

The Blue Ribbon Sampler by Olwyn Horwood

This is where I am with Blue Ribbon, not as far as I had hoped as I had to unpick two days' work. Lining up the blocks is not easy !!!!


The Blue Ribbon Sampler by Olwyn Horwood

I have edged the filet panels but have not cut the threads yet as I did not know if it was wise to do so until the end. I am concerned that as I like my fabric to be drum tight to work on this might exert too much strain on the edging for the cut threads to hold. Does anyone have any experience with filet panels and millennium frames that could offer advice.


The Blue Ribbon Sampler by Olwyn Horwood

I will be working on the motif section in between the speciality stitches next. 

Since starting Blue Ribbon I have had LOTS of emails asking if I would sell the book. Amazingly this book is listed on the internet for between $120 to $220. I was shown a great kindness by Michele when she gave me the book and I will be passing that kindness on when I have finished. I will have a giveaway for my followers only, not email subscribers.



SDW by The Scarlett Letter

 The SDW SAL is coming along and the first three pages are finished. I love the lion, he has such a cute tongue. It is surprising how much you can achieve just giving one day a week to a project.

I have been busy with baking this week, lots of the family's favourites but also a new recipe that was given to me by Nikki.





It is a cream cheese cake and I used a bundt tin. It was delicious, moist and had a lovely texture. I have added the recipe to my personal cookery book.

Nikki also provided me with a chocolate cake recipe which I have made this morning. It is still baking in the AGA so if successful I will post some photos next week.

It is said that things come in threes and that has been the case for me this week. I have been VERY lucky.

The first to arrive was a big parcel from Krista . It was filled with toys for Poppy and Blue.






Poppy looks dazed in this photo, she was heavily medicated at the time but she was still interested enough to get up and investigate. Boxers LOVE toys.

Krista also enclosed some blank notelets for me made from photographs that she had taken. They are so beautiful I will enjoy using them when corresponding with my friends.





Thank you Krista your kindness and generosity has once again touched me.



The next surprise was winning Elaine's giveaway. The Art of Elegant Hand Embroidery.


The Art of Elegant Hand Embroidery by Janice Vaine


It is a beautiful book jammed packed full of photographs, diagrams and well written instructions. I will get a lot of use out of this book so it has found a very good home with me.




The Art of Elegant Hand Embroidery by Janice Vaine


I particularly like craft books when they are spiral bound, so much more practical for using whilst stitching.

Elaine is a gifted needle worker and is new to blogging. Her blog is well worth a visit.


As you know our son is having a baby at the end of December and my dearest friend and follower, Elizabeth gave me this gorgeous aran jumper she has knitted for the baby.






Elizabeth is an amazing knitter and makes wonderful cardigans and jumpers. She is staying with us for the next fortnight and is busy knitting another jumper for the baby.

I would like to introduce you to Blueberry a collared dove.





A few weeks ago Blueberry was found in our gardens being attacked by several crows. They had him pinned to the ground and were pulling out his tail feathers. The crows were shooed away and Blueberry was picked up and brought to the house. He had a nasty puncture wound under his wing, damage to his tail feathers and was traumatized.

He has now been nursed back to health by my friend Debbie and we "soft" released him on Saturday back into Trewoon's gardens. He still looks a bit "ruffled" but the rescue organisation that gave Debbie advice said the sooner he was released the better.

I was so pleased to see him on Sunday morning and again this morning. The doves feed next to my sun room and he was back with his partner feeding on the seed fallen from the small bird feeders. I am so happy that he found his partner.



Birds feeding photographed in the gardens of Trewoon, Poldhu Cove, Mullion


I have been remiss of late posting photographs of the birds in the garden. It is only recently that I have brought my cameras etc., out again.



Birds feeding photographed in the gardens of Trewoon, Poldhu Cove, Mullion

Competition has been fierce for pole position at the feeders.


Blue Tit photographed  in the gardens of Trewoon, Poldhu Cove, Mullion

I adore the expressions on this Blue Tit's face.


For anyone who is interested Sewandso.co.uk are running a 5% off voucher for anyone who signs up to their newsletter.

The "dinger" has rung on my timer so I am off to get the cakes out of the AGA.



Warm Wishes from Stitching By A Cornish Sea Shore Nicola xxx