Tuesday 21 February 2012

Yiota's Xstitch Kits - A Review

For some time I have been hearing a buzz around blog land of Yiota's XStitch  and her beautiful cross stitch kits and online needlework store. Last week I was delighted to receive a request from Yiota to review one her cross stitch kits.



From an earlier visit to her online store I knew that Yiota is a very talented designer so I was very excited and honoured by the invitation.

Yiota's XStitch


Yiota and her husband run a small family business based in England and they design, manufacture and sell around the world unique cross stitch designs. Yiota takes her inspiration mostly from fine art masters and the Victorian era.

Yiota's XStitch


From an enjoyable hour spent browsing the online store I soon realised that it was going to be  hard to choose just one design from so many beautiful ones.

Yiota's XStitch


There is a huge choice of themes to cover all tastes.There really is something for everyone.

Yiota's XStitch


All sorts of animals to include family pets, birds, butterflies, farm animals, wildlife and the exotic. There are beautiful cross stitch kits of fairies, kings and queens and children. An amazing selection of  seascapes, landscapes, cottages, castle and churches. From samplers to the seasons, biscornus to cards.

Yiota's XStitch


There are countless more that can be found here. I particularly like the way that you can search for the kits by skill level or theme. The website to is very well laid out and is easy to navigate. You can also buy gift vouchers  which make lovely presents for pin pals. The designs are available as cross stitch kits or patterns.

Yiota's XStitch


Eventually after much oooing and aarring  I decided on a William Morris Design - A Lily. The size was 11.8 inc. x 11.8 inc. and I thought that it would make a beautiful insert to a cushion. I had a choice of 14ct aida or 28c evenweave which I chose.

Yiota's XStitch



The kit arrived very quickly, it was sent in a board backed envelope and was marked "Do Not Bend". I hate it when goods arrive damaged because they have been cheaply packed. 10 out of 10 to Yiota, her packaging and delivery were excellent. If you opt for just a pattern this can be sent either as a paper chart or via email, ideal for international stitchers.

Yiota's XStitch


The kit itself was well presented and put together in a resealable plastic cover. The BIGGEST plus for me is that all Yiota's kits come with the threads pre-wound and clearly numbered. We all want to start our stitching straight away and I have spent many frustrating hours sorting out hanks of threads and agonising over which thread is which then having to wind them onto bobbins.

Yiota's bobbins are pre-punched so all you have to do is slip them onto a ring and hey ho off to go. Multiple bobbins are given for high volume thread rather than over winding. I was surprised by how many different shades of thread there were.


The threads used are Maderia which I have never used before for cross stitching but I have used them for machine embroidery with very good results, they have a lovely sheen to them. DMC conversions are given if you want to kit up the pattern with other threads. Another 10 out of 10 for me on the threads.



The instructions are well written and clear. The chart was printed on good quality paper with a matt finish. I do not like using gloss patterns as the glare from them when working under a daylight lamp gives me a headache. The symbols used were clear and distinct from each other.




If I was being very  picky I would have preferred for the pattern to have been printed with the same size symbols  but split over more smaller pages as I do not like to fold my charts. I would give the chart 9.5 out of 10.

The fabric supplied was good quality and felt nice to handle. It was more than ample for the design. It is a bearbug for me when kits come with a tight allowance for finishing or framing. Trust me this happens with some very expensive kits. A needle was tucked into the fabric. Another 10 out of 10.

With the attention to detail and quality Yiota's cross stitch kits are good value for money. The kit I chose is a lovely conversion of this William Morris design and I am looking forward to stitching it.

Please visit Yiota's XStitch  to see more.


Warm Wishes from Stitching By A Cornish Sea Shore Nicola xxx