Monday 9 January 2012

Fishing Nets to Gladiators


The Laburnum Tree - Moira Blackburn (personalised)


Thank you for all the lovely comments yesterday about by DH - Ray. Secretly, I think that he was really chuffed and he told me to remember to tell you that he made me a cup of tea as well in the afternoon.

I love him so much. I stitched Moira's Laburnum Tree to celebrate our love for each other. I changed the saying to "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine", I use this saying alot in my stitching as it is one that I hold very dear.

The weather worsened throughout yesterday so we never made it out for our walk and I spent the afternoon working on a news letter that I send periodically to "Friends of Trewoon".

I thought that I would make this post a little different today my sharing it with you. (Elizabeth, as a very dear Friend of Trewoon I am sorry that you will be seeing this twice)



Fishing Nets to Gladiators


I was watching Amazing Grace last night on DVD and spotted Mullion Harbour. Our little harbour must be one of the most picturesque ‘storybook’ fishing harbours in Cornwall.

 

 

Fishermen at Mullion Harbour, Lizard, Cornwall
seasidecottagescornwall.co.uk



Once a busy Pilchard fishing harbour it has been preserved by the National Trust, and is a magical place to visit with its lobster pots, quaint cobbled slipway, and old picturesque net store that provide a timeless and precious tranquillity that is difficult to find.

 


Boats at Mullion Harbour, Lizard, Cornwall seasidecottagescornwall.co.uk




Brightly coloured fishing boats still support a small fishing community with fresh lobster and crab being landed on the quay. There is nothing quite like our fresh crab sandwiches for lunch.

 

With its  dramatic back drop of the high serpentine cliffs and tiny Mullion Island  it is no surprise that Mullion Cove and Harbour have featured in many historic TV and Film dramas over the years.

 

 

Mullion Cove, Lizard, Cornwall by John Wright seasidecottagescornwall.co.uk


When you visit Cadgwith Cove you may recognise some of the locals and buildings as many appeared in Ladies in Lavender with Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.  In 2004 for several weeks the cove was transformed into the 1940's.



Fishing Boats at Cadgwith Cove, Lizard, Cornwall by John Wright
seasidecottagescornwall.co.uk


 

Rosamunde Pilcher was born in Cornwall and many of her novels were set in this area. Daphne Du Maurier lived for a short while at the head of Frenchman's Creek, the walk around the creek brings Du Maurier's famous novel alive.


The Shell Seekers, Nancherrow, Another View, Toby and Carousel all had scenes shot locally.


The 1949 Thief of Baghdad was set in Gunwalloe, the Island of Adventures was filmed in 1981 at Mullion Cove, The Return of Sherlock Homes in 1986 featured scenes filmed at Kynance, Church and Cadgwith Cove.  Vinnie Jones appeared at Porthleven filming Guns, Money and Home Cooking.

 


Church Cove, Cove, Lizard, Cornwall by John Wright seasidecottagescornwall.co.uk


With Jenny Agutter, Rodney Bewes, Caroline Quentin, Roger Taylor, Pete Townsed and Tim Rice having homes here and Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie staying in Helston this year you never know who you are going to snap in your holiday photographs.



For Mark and Susan who like a bit of trivia:-

" the nets for Gladiator starring Russell Crowe were made by a fishing net maker in Porthleven. who had a surpise visit by the film star".



I hope my needlework friends enjoyed The Friends of Trewoon Newsletter, we are so blessed where we live.

Warm Wishes from Stitching By A Cornish Sea Shore Nicola xxx